Saturday, January 30, 2010

Those Women

I have an admission to make.

I was once one of those busy women who didn't have time to scrapbook. I had even previously, dare I say it, poked fun at the whole scrapbook phenomenon - back when supplies were peddled in a friend's living room. I guess I thought it was more important to be out living your life rather than be shut in memorializing it. I just didn't get it. There was no way I was going to become one of those women, those SCRAPBOOKERS.

Then I made a new friend at work. This friend was very unconventional - definitely NOT one of those women, and yet, my friend was a scrapbooker. Stranger still, my friend invited me to a scrapbook conference! Desperate for a weekend away from my screaming kids, I accepted.

So... in the fall of 2007, stocked with borrowed supplies, I scrapbooked for the very first time, alone, stuck in an "intermediate" class, in a room full of those women who it seemed could all trim a 12x12 sheet into 3-inch squares in record time.

And do you know what? I LOVE IT!

Those women, the scrapbookers, were chatty and witty, and if I watched closely I could see a few others who were struggling with the rapid fire directions as much as I was. I had flashbacks to kindergarten when you could cut and paste and make something beautiful that someone would love. All I needed now was the elbow macaroni, and I'd be all set!

I came out of my first class that day with a big smile on my face, and it hasn't left yet. I absolutely adore the time I spend creating layouts for my family to enjoy. It is an easy, creative outlet for me, and I've found that when I'm focused on a page, I forget about all the other stressful events of my day. And scrapbooking doesn't take time away from living my life. If anything, it makes me more conscious - more aware - of those moments that become cherished memories.

My daughters, now 8, both clamor to get their hands on my scrapbook supplies so they can create their own pages, and I have since turn on another friend to the joys of this hobby, and then there's this blog... Listen to me! What have I become? Make fun of me if you must, but, yes, my name is Lea Ann, and I am one of those women. I am a SCRAPBOOKER!

No comments:

Post a Comment